Monday, March 3, 2008

Brewce Martin's Skatopia

“I left to build an empire without zoning laws and meddling neighbors, and fucking cops. Florida is a police state cause of all the old folks.”- Brewce Martin

Just a slice of the empire from skatopia.org


Exerpt from Skateboader Mag's "Top 10 Most Dangerous Skate Spots"

1990 or 91- News Journal article- "Ready to Skate"- Brewce in the Stone Edge parking lot

This part is like a snap shot because I get to develop a first impression of our featured interviewee in your mind. What I remember about Brewce Martin are three things. His skating, his muscles, and his son (wierd what your mind retains at age 6). His skating: I've never seen any one body move so fast, damn powerful, and fluid. Though most likely you'll go for broke when skating with him, in order to retain a sense of dignity, he is an encourager. His muscles: he had these crazy shoulder muscles; though lean from working, skating, and probably starving all day. His son: he was around my age, so he hung out at my house sometimes, and made me watch Terminator and Bat Man movies. I was more of a He-Man and Ninja Turtle fan, but whatever. Brandon rips like his dad now, but back then, you couldn't get the boy to stand up. He just rolled around the park, content in his state, pushing on one knee. Over the years, Brewce and I have only had a few e-mail conversations. Though, he has always generously extended the invitation to come visit Skatopia.

MM: What current endeavors do you have your hand in right now?

Brewce: A feature length documentary is in post production,
tons of dreams of stuff to build,
a three year old daughter- Amity Whitelight,
another amazing year of an amazing life,
good things are always on my plate.

MM: What brings you joy?

Brewce: My kids bring me joy.
- Seeing people have an experience they never imagined
- creating new wonderous surroundings,
- living without restrictions and limitations others try to impose upon you- freedom to be.
- To know you impact people and inspire dreams to be actualized.

MM: You’re a fine example, of someone who built their dream set-up, when did you start dreaming of having this set-up, and a sk8 museum?

Brewce: I lived like that most of my life, so when I built my first ramp in my basement at the age of 10, I realized the freedom that comes from having your own scene

MM: How many years have you been collecting skateboards, and how many are in your collection?

Brewce: I started collecting in 1990, because my mom found an old board at a yard sale. It happened to be one I rode in the 70's. There are over 2,000 boards and tens of thousands of the artifacts in the museum.
It is now a non-profit so any donations are tax-deductible


MM: How did you start skating?

Brewce: Borrowing boards in the early 70's.
I won my first board from the newspaper I delivered for in 1978. My picture was on the front page, starting a long streak as a media darling.


MM: Describe your set-up in Ohio, and how it came about.

Brewce: I left Fla. because I wanted to be in more rural surroundings
and to build without restriction. I had several bad experiences in Fla. building in my yard. I was evicted in Jacksonville for a ramp in my yard. My set up is too large to describe; we have a lot to skate.

MM: What was the first skateable piece to go in?

Brewce: The first piece was the Epcot Bean- a 13 foot bowl in my 100 year old barn.


MM: How is the sk8 scene in Rutland, Ohio?

Brewce: Oddly enough, there were no skateboarders in the whole county when we began. Now there are hundreds of hillbilly redneck skaters.

MM: Who helps build and maintain the place?

Brewce: Everybody present is responsible.
Mostly Brandon and myself, but there are thousands of cult followers.


MM: Is it free?

Brewce: Yes and no.
We expect those who can to contribute; those who cant are asked to work on new projects or whatever needs done if anything.


MM: When is your next Bowl Bash?

Brewce: June 13-14 will be the 13th Annual, come get some under your belt!


MM: Would you say you have one of the most hard-core set-ups eva!

Brewce: I will let others say what they may bout that.
I just say we let people have some freedom back.
Trust me you are losing some of that everyday.

MM: What should you expect when visiting Skatopia?

Brewce: To skate, camp, and pitch in to make it better- pretty simple formula.

MM: Where are you originally from, and how long did you live in Daytona Beach?

Brewce: Born in Hartford, CT., grew up in West Virginia, where I call home.

MM: Describe one of the hardest times in your life, and what it has done for you as a result?

Brewce: Losing my grandpa crushed me, cause he taught me about land and the peace you can find in nature. He loaned me the money for the down payment on Skatopia.
Having knee surgery July 31, 2005.
I don’t sit well, so it was hard.
But I recovered fully and still have the madness.

MM: Describe life in FLA when you lived there? What got you there, and what made you leave?

Brewce: Random chance got me there- good skating, good times;
some of my fondest memories are from Daytona Beach.
I left to build an empire without zoning laws and meddling neighbors, and fucking cops. Florida is a police state cause of all the old folks.


MM: Do you ever visit? What is your most memorable moment living there?

Brewce: I visit every other year.
So many come to mind…How bout when I talked you into dropping in on the extension on the vert ramp when you were 7.
Or going to the Team Glug house, and seeing 20 dirty skaters living in the most filth ridden conditions I’ve ever witnessed.
That house got condemned.
The skate sessions were epic. Lake Helen, Norma, and gene sheets

MM: How old is Brandon now? Is he following in your footsteps?

Brewce: Brandon is the other joy in my life.
He is 22.
He is an amazing skater and individual.
He makes me very proud everyday.
God I hope he doesn’t follow in my footsteps.
He has his own way different than mine.

MM: Where can people check out Skatopia?

Brewce: skatopia.org, skatopiathemovie.com, at the West Virginia Embassy in Rutland, Ohio

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://oqorewipu.freewaywebhost.com/hynuko.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin to get income with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]